Ever heard of NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration)? They are an administration established back in the 1970’s under the U.S. Department of Transportation. Their mandate is to carry out safety programs related to two 1966 Safety Acts for motor vehicles, highways and traffic.
If you’ve driven or ridden on a U.S. highway, you’ve been directly impacted by the NHTSA’s work. Along with conducting research on driver behavior and traffic safety, setting and enforcing safety performance standards for motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment, they also investigate safety defects in motor vehicles, set fuel economy standards, help states reduce the threat of drunk drivers, and promote the use of safety belts, child safety seats and air bags.
They have a toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline that provides recall information. The U.S. toll-free number is 888-327-4236. On their website at http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects, they keep an on-going list of recalls, some of which may be relevant to RVers.
RV News Service http://rvnewsservice.com/roundup-of-april-rv-related-recalls-from-nhtsa/ recently posted about RV-related recalls from NHTSA. Some of the most recent recalls for a portion of April 2014 concern:
- Keystone RV Company: Certain 2014 Summerland, Springdale, Bullet and Cougar travel trailers and fifth wheels. Certain model year 2013-2014 Montana, 2014 Alpine, Big Sky, Fuzion and 2014 Dutchmen Infinity and Voltage fifth wheel trailers.
- Crossroads RV: Certain 2015 Sunset Trail, Zinger and Reserve trailers. Certain 2014 Redwood trailers.
- Chrysler: certain 2014 Ram 1500 4x4s.
- Forest River: Certain 2014 Crusader fifth wheels.
- KZ: Certain 2014 Sportsmen towable travel trailers.
- Nissan: Certain 2013 Pathfinder vehicles.
- Mazda: Certain 2001-2004 Tribute vehicles.
- Triple E: Certain 2014 Libero motorhomes and certain 2014 Serenity motorhomes.
- Honda: Certain 2014 Odyssey vehicles.
- Ford: Certain 2015 F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550 Super Duty trucks. Certain 2001-2004 Escape vehicles.
- General Motors: Certain 2014 Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia vehicles. Certain 2015 Chevrolet Silverado HD, and GMC Sierra HD vehicles. Certain model year 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt, 2006-2011 Chevrolet HHR, 2007-2010 Pontiac G5, 2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice, 2003-2007 Saturn Ion and 2007-2010 Saturn Sky vehicles.
- Heartland: Certain 2013 Bighorn Silverado, 2014 Bighorn and 2013-2014 Cyclone and Landmark fifth wheel trailers.
- Winnebago: Certain 2014-2015 Travato, 2014 Trend, and 2014 Itasca Viva motorhomes.
- Thor: Certain 2013-2014 Challenger and Tuscany RVs and 2014 Tuscany XTE and Palazzo RVs.
If you see your unit’s name on the list, for more detailed information on the recalls, you can go to the RV News Service website http://rvnewsservice.com/roundup-of-april-rv-related-recalls-from-nhtsa/ or to NHTSA’s website http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects.