We have good news for those who enjoy RV touring: GasBuddy.com is predicting a decline in summer gas prices that could drop to $3 in some states. Cheap gas makes this a perfect summer to explore America’s national parks.
If you’re ready for adventure, load up your motorhome or travel trailer and check out our RV travel tips for visiting national parks:
- Pick up a pass. If you’re planning to visit multiple national parks this year, save money with an $80 annual pass. Annual passes are free for disabled Americans and U.S. military and their dependents. Seniors (62 and older) are eligible for a $10 Lifetime pass. Visiting parks on free entrance days is another way to keep costs down.
- Reserve your campsite. National parks are popular summer attractions. If you want to stay in the park, you may need to make your reservations a year in advance. Consider staying at a nearby state or private RV campground where you can enjoy full RV hook-ups and other amenities often lacking at national park campgrounds.
- Use online resources. The National Park System website provides links to information about each park, including event and daily activity schedules, information about campsites and park amenities, hours and fees, trail maps, travel advisories and more. Download the free smartphone app Oh Ranger! before you leave home. This handy app can help you find trails, activities and other park services while you’re on the go.
- Stop by the visitors’ center. This is the best place to get an overview of the park, pick up current activity schedules, learn about special activities and get updates on park conditions. Remember to check out the gift shop where you can pick up postcards, souvenirs, trail maps, park histories and other helpful resources.
- Sign up for park activities. Ranger-led hikes and campfire presentations will add to the richness of your national park visit. Kids will enjoy participating in the Junior Ranger program.
RVT.com offers thousands of new and used RVs for sale. Visit our website today and start planning your summer travels!